Although I feel comfortable creating OS X base images with InstaDMG, I was looking for an easier and faster method for people that are not used to the command line. Here are the steps needed to create a pristine OS X image ready for deployment via Lightning or DeployStudio.
1. Download Lightning from Filewave’s website
2. Drop it into your application folder
3. Start it up
4. Press the create button to create a new image
5. Drop your ‚Install OS X Mountain Lion‘ App Store download into the „Drop Additional Content Here“ area. It will be recognized as „Original Installation Media“
6. Drag any other packages you want to install onto the drop zone.
7. Press „Create Imageset“. This will take about 20 minutes on a MacBook Pro 15“ Retina.
8. Deploy the new image to mounted volumes or macs if needed
9. Make the image ready for DeployStudio
Press alt-command-R or choose „View -> Reveal Library in Finder“ to get to the new image. It is located at
Copy it to your DeployStudio server for deployment and rename it as appropriate.